CSCS cards act as proof of competence and they cover many occupations so you may be required to produce one depending on what you are doing in the construction site. Information on these cards is readily available online and you can even discuss with the staff members about your occupation to be professionally advised on the card that suits you best. These cards come in a number of colors each representing a different workgroup and are issued upon completion of health and safety tests where the level of the test taken depends on the card to be issued.
The different types of CSCS cards include:
Red Cards- they are issued to new entrants to occupations in the construction industry or people who were in the industry before but their occupation was closed for industrial accreditation and are working towards a NVQ of SVQ. There are four types of red cards and these include:
- Red card – Trainee (craft and operative)
- Red card- Trainee (technical, supervisory and management)
- Red card- Experienced technician, supervisor or manager (technical, supervisory and management)
- Red card- Experienced workers
Green Card- this card is meant for those people who carry out basic site skills only for example the laborers. Application for this card can be done via NVQ level 1 or by employer’s recommendation and the employer must use the industry accreditation competencies when assessing the applicant. The card is valid for five years.
Blue Cards- These include:
- Blue card – Skilled worker for people who have achieved an NVQ or SVQ level 2, those who have completed an employer sponsored apprenticeship people experienced in their jobs.
- Blue card- Craft unit level which is issued for occupations where a full NVQ or SVQ does not exist but trade specific units do. This card is valid for five years.
Gold cards- These include:
- Gold card- Skilled worker which is meant for people who have achieved an NVQ or SVQ level 3, people who have completed an approved indentured apprenticeship or employer sponsored apprenticeship and people experienced in their jobs. The card is valid for five years.
- Gold card- Supervisor which is available for supervisor and technician occupations. This card requires achievement of an NVQ or SVQ level 3 in a relevant occupation.
Black card- Manager which is a card available for manager occupations and requires an achievement of an NVQ or SVQ level 4 or 5 in a relevant occupation.
Other types of CSCS cards are:
- White/yellow – Professionally qualified person card
- White/grey card- Construction related occupation( CRO) and
- Yellow card- Regular visitor